What I do for self-care


Just a few years ago, I had no idea what self-care was. I viewed it as something I would feel guilty about doing. I didn't understand that in order to recharge and keep my emotions in check, I had to take a step back. Taking time off for me just sounded selfish. I felt I needed to be busy and just go, go, go. My perception of self-care suddenly changed cour years ago.

 Four years ago I joined a 12 step support group for spouses of addicts. I learned why it was necessary to practice self-care and how. When I am feeling run down, empty, and/or unhappy, that's the time I need to take a step back and take care of myself spiritually, emotionally and physically. For me, exercise has become my favorite form of self-care. Why? Because it helps melt my stress and worries away and I always feel great afterward. I gain a sense of accomplishment. Exercise for me has become about strength and health and less about looking fit. I have been weight lifting at home for the last five years and it is something I crave daily. 

Another way of self-care I like to practice is getting ready for the day. When I take the time in the morning to get dressed, put on some makeup and do my hair, I feel more confident. I also like to take a moment and reconnect with God and put Him in my center. It grounds me and brings me peace. 

There are so many ways to practice self-care. For example, reading a book, going on a walk, getting a hug from a loved one, sleeping, meditating, healthy eating, etc....Take the time to take care of yourself but most importantly make sure you are kind and forgiving with yourself. It is important to take care of you so you can take care of others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January update

Logan!